Despite major brands losing market exclusivity increasing cost competition, the osteoporosis market remains attractive. Leading osteoporosis companies continue to promote their products and develop their franchises while drug developers strive to bring their agents to market in an attempt to meet unmet need and tap into this potentially profitable patient population
Features and benefits
- Understand Datamonitor’s independent appraisal of marketed brands and key pipeline agents indicated for treating osteoporosis
- Illustrate how pipeline and marketed drugs compare to one another in terms of clinical and commercial attributes
- Understand how marketed brands are positioned in the osteoporosis treatment algorithm and how they are perceived by treating physicians
- Evaluate the latest drug launches and barriers to increasing market share
- Determine to what extent future therapies satisfy the main clinical unmet needs in osteoporosis treatment
Forteo (teriparatide; Eli Lilly) further increased its class leading position after its launch in Japan in summer 2010. The biggest opportunity in the market remains for new safe and efficacious anabolic therapies, indeed several PTH analogs continue their development, in an attempt to become the first second generation PTH to reach the market.
n 2010, Prolia (denosumab) was launched in the US and EU. Initial sales were modest and Amgen and its European partner GlaxoSmithKline need to continue marketing their product aggressively as a convenient bone strengthening drug in order to increase market share.
Odanacatib (Merck & Co) is the most promising product in the pipeline due to its favorable clinical profile and Merck’s market experience. However, with launch is expected only in 2015, Merck will face the large challenge of penetrating the highly saturated and genericized antiresorptive market.
Your key questions answered
- What are the key differentiating features of approved therapies for osteoporosis and how are they used in the daily management of the disease?
- How did Prolia perform upon launch and what strategies are Amgen and GlaxoSmithKline implementing to drive market penetration
- How do key opinion leaders and prescribers perceive available treatments for osteoporosis?
- Do pipeline products address key clinical unmet needs?
- What are the comparative strengths and weaknesses of the key osteoporosis brands and pipeline candidates?