Based on Verdict's proprietary market data and insight into key fuel retailers, this brief provides you with an up-to-date picture of the fuel retailing market in Denmark. In addition to outlining service station numbers, fuel sales, competitor shares, and fuel and site forecasts, it also details retailers' c-store, car wash, and unmanned site numbers with an overview of their product offerings.
Features and benefits
- Benchmark your service station retail offer against the major national players in the sector by examining their number of sites, shops and car washes.
- Develop new marketing ideas for your service station shop, car wash and card propositions by examining the activities of other players across Denmark.
- Make informed pitches to potential partners by gaining insights into the major retailers’ networks, market shares, fuel throughputs, and future plans.
- Assess overall market entry potential by accessing key market indicators including registered cars, national fuel volumes, and average prices.
The number of service stations in Denmark rose marginally during 2010, after five years of decline. Most major players divested sites in 2010 except Q8, which added five sites. In 2010, the proportion of unmanned sites rose further to 65%.
Fuel volume sales at service stations in Denmark declined by 3% in 2010, marking a slowdown in the rate of sales decline. Petrol consumption declined by 5%, while diesel consumption increased by almost 2%. Despite the fall in overall consumption, the higher fuel prices led to an upswing of 14% in average fuel sales per service station.
The proportion of service stations with a shop continued to decline, with just over 30% of sites featuring a shop as of January 2011. Statoil has the highest number of forecourt shops in Denmark and has launched a new café concept focusing on providing meal options along with a place for drivers to relax and take a break.
Your key questions answered
- Who are the top five players in the Danish service station retail market and how many sites, shops, and car washes do they have?
- What is the market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in Denmark?
- How is the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets, as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes?
- What strategies do the key players have across their fuel and non-fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, partnerships and suppliers used?