Opportunities are emerging for packaging that provides properties beyond simply containing the product. This case study analyzes key drivers and inhibitors affecting the adoption of smart packaging and assesses prospects for growth. It determines whether smart packaging initiatives are likely to achieve real success unless they offer real consumer benefits using sustainable solutions.
Features and benefits
- Achieve sales growth by understanding the key drivers behind consumer demand
- Improve margins by understanding the types of smart packaging developments that are most likely to result in adding value
- Stimulate ideation from best practice examples of smart developments with supporting consumer, product and market insight
- Reduce risk in new product launches by learning lessons from less effective developments
This report discusses the relative merits of a number of smart packaging applications such as self-heating/self chilling containers, QR codes, thermo-chromic inks and indicator labeling.
These applications are examined in the context of key trends in convenience, food safety, sensory and sustainability and the report includes numerous examples of both successful and less effective developments.
Your key questions answered
- What are the key consumer drivers behind smart packaging?
- What are the main barriers to the development of smart packaging?
- Which smart packaging developments are most likely to succeed?
- Which new technologies are likely to emerge in future and what are the chief hurdles to overcome?