Effective innovation is difficult to come by, but it is the key to sustained competitive advantage in the consumer packaged goods industry. Lessons can be learned from both successes and failures. This case study examines Walmart's and P&G's foray into the US entertainment business with their "Family Movie Night" program, which increased product sales for both companies through cross promotion.
Features and benefits
- Access comprehensive analysis of global successes and failures in the consumer packaged goods industry to drive ideation and inspiration.
- Obtain country-specific consumer insight to understand the consumer attitudes and needs that underpinned innovation success/failure.
- Avoid costly investments by learning important lessons from companies and brands that have failed or under-delivered.
- Obtain a broader appreciation of the consumer packaged goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your category.
Around 80% of new product innovation fails, highlighting the challenge that industry players face in innovating in today's competitive market landscape. Failed innovation can severely undermine profits and brand reputations. Conversely, the rewards for successful innovation are substantial.
Datamonitor is constantly monitoring the big winners and losers in the consumer packaged goods industry. This case study considers Walmart's and P&G's "Family Movie Night" initiative, intended to encourage US families to spend more time together. Its success proves that brands can be "connectivity enablers" in today’s increasingly fragmented world.
Keywords: success, failure, CPG, FMCG, entertainment, Walmart, P&G, family, connectivity, movie, family, promotion, sales, experience, product.
Your key questions answered
- Why is Walmart and P&G Family Movie Night considered an interesting case of success?
- How does Datamonitor judge the success of Walmart and P&G Family Movie Night?
- What consumer insight has underpinned this?
- What can I learn from the success of Walmart and P&G Family Movie Night?