Unlike the beer market, wine has not experienced a sustained decline and has continued to grow in value in some regions despite the economic crisis. Success in the market will be driven by appealing to the continuing growth of consumers' trading up tendencies in core markets while educating and heightening the appeal of wine among new consumers in emerging markets and younger demographic cohorts.
Scope of this research
- Detailed insights and analysis documenting the drivers and inhibitors of the wine market
- Exclusive occasions, market and consumer survey data and analysis covering each category
- Strategic conclusions combined with actionable recommendations for all industry players looking to fully capitalize on this market
- Countries covered: France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, UK, US, Australia, Japan, South Korea, China, India, Brazil, and Russia
Research and analysis highlights
Alcohol sales growth is suffering from the affects of the global downturn, but longer term trends such as moderation for health or expenditure reasons are well established threats. The shift towards premiumization and a higher value/lower volume consumption pattern is set to continue but has lost momentum and is not forestalling the sales decline.
Health is one of the most significant trends influencing CPG brands in the present. Wine is best placed of the three main alcohol categories to capitalize on this, and regular moderate wine consumption has often been linked with health benefits. The industry has adapted further to this trend and lower alcohol wines have already seen some success.
Price and value-for-money are growing as influencing factors in what drinkers consume, where they consume and in what volume. The negative economic backdrop has clearly been a major motivator in this, and has further favored the off-trade over the on-trade.
Key reasons to purchase this research
- Consumer understanding: obtain a detailed understanding of consumer attitudes and behaviors towards wine
- Market understanding: identify the key wine markets and product innovation trends in 15 countries across four territories
- Ideation: find inspiration for innovative formulations and positioning that takes advantage of consumers' desires for premium and health attributes